Through the Screen:
Internet Safety and Tips for Everyone
With the Internet growing at an exponential rate, and children connecting to it at a younger age, families need a way to navigateit all safely and wisely. The family computer has been largely replaced by personal devices such as smart phones and Internet-enabled media players. This makes the Internet more portable, and far more private. The problem is, things that seem to be common sense to many with a long history on the Internet, are not necessarily so common to small children, teens, and sometimes even to adults.
This book is a guide for the entire family, and divided into sections based on age and online experience. There is something here for every age level, and this book provides an excellent starting point for family Internet rules and guidelines.
No child, or family, should plunge into the online world without good, solid understandings of its dangers, legal guidelines and ramifications, scams, traps, and hidden secrets.
This is your guide.
Some of the topics covered:
- Protecting name, address, and family details
- Guarding passwords and logins
- Polls and chain letters
- Online scams
- Hidden and false online identities
- Attachements and files (viruses and malware)
- Photo location tracking
- Appropriate times and usage of smartphones
- Friends lists and access to your data
- Photo ownership and rights
- Smart posting guidelines
- Future employers and your online persona
- App and website tracking / blocking
- Online bullying / reporting / prevention
- Password managers and password strength
- Device tracking and retrieval
- Meeting online "friends" in the real world
- Phishing attacks
- Open networks and "sniffers"
- Legal and social consequences of "sexy" content posted/shared
- How to get things taken offline
- Smart phones and driving / school / social events
- The effects of pornography
- GPS tracking of devices and their owners
- Locking down your phone and financial information
- Using VPNs (Virtual Private Networks)
- Remote support and technicians
- Creating a good culture and example for parents
- Avoiding the big social media blunders
Full colour. 65 pages. $18.00 (shipping included)